Tips For Choosing A Good Bankruptcy Lawyer
Bankruptcy is a court process whereby the judge determines whether or not to discharge an individual of their debts. If overpowered by heavy debts, it is advisable to seek help from a bankruptcy lawyer. Bankruptcy law is complex, and a simple error could lead to loss of a lot of property. A bankruptcy lawyer is an attorney that has specialized in dealing with bankruptcy cases. One needs to hire a bankruptcy lawyer, for instance, Bolinske Law’s bankruptcy lawyers to help them navigate the bankruptcy process.
Choosing A Good Bankruptcy Lawyer
Roles of a bankruptcy lawyer
• The attorney explains bankruptcy to you, the risks involved and what type of bankruptcy to file for depending on whatever state you are from.
• They take you through the process and prepare the petition documents which are very lengthy. After the petition, the creditors are banned temporarily from contacting you.
• The attorney also offers advice to you after the case on how to manage funds well and avoid getting heavy debts again.
How to choose a good bankruptcy lawyer
1. When looking for an attorney, it is best to consult friend, relatives or workmates that have dealt with bankruptcy before. If you have little funds, it is best to contact nonprofit organizations for help in getting a lawyer. You could also consider searching on the internet for a bankruptcy firm, however, be careful not to get scammed.
2. Select an attorney who you are comfortable with. By the time you are filing for bankruptcy, you are usually very stressed, and it is hard to think straight. Therefore, choose a lawyer who is friendly, trustworthy, understanding, supportive and qualified. This way, you will feel comfortable during the whole process because you trust your attorney.
3. It is important to look for a good law firm. Look at the reputation of the company you plan to hire. Big firms may charge expensively while small firms are maybe less pricey and keener with cases. However, avoid bankruptcy companies that have low charges and luring advertisements. Before planning to hire them ensure you do your research well.
4. One can also go to their local court and inquire for a practicing bankruptcy attorney. Depending on how complicated your case is, you could get a less experienced lawyer with less pay and if your case is difficult, go to an experienced lawyer.
5. Make an appointment with the lawyer for a consultation. This way you will determine if the lawyer is qualified by asking a few questions, for instance, the number of cases they have handled per year, how long they have been practicing law. You could also interview some attorneys over the phone. During the first meeting, you will establish how available the lawyer is, their personality and whether their recommendations are good.
In conclusion, it is important to look for a qualified lawyer to make the price worthwhile. Depending on how complicated the case it is advisable to seek consultation first on how best to resolve the debts issue.